As part of its mission, CIC provides support and member services for its State Fund members, state-based consortia that generate financial resources for, and coordinate beneficial collaborative program among, member independent colleges and universities in their respective states. Member services include conferences and other professional and organizational development opportunities. In addition, State Fund Members are eligible for grant support from CIC from the $40 million endowment dedicated by the initial donor—the UPS Foundation—to the advancement of the mission and programs of the State Funds Members. Among the signature grant programs benefitting State Fund Members is a scholarship program honoring UPS:
- UPS Scholarship Program - Provides over $1 million each year in scholarship support for students at State Funds' member colleges.
- National Venture Fund - Supports innovative, collaborative projects benefitting State Funds' member colleges.
- First Opportunity Partners Fund - Supports initiatives to enhance access and success for low-income, minority, first-generation, and new American students.
- Capacity Building Grants - Provide seed money for State Funds to develop or enhance their regional fundraising initiatives.
- Scholarship Challenge Grants - Provide leverage for the State Funds to raise additional money for scholarships at their member colleges.
The member services provided to State Fund Members have expanded greatly as a result of the affiliation with CIC. Among the long-standing CIC programs now available to state executives for organizational and professional development are:
- Presidents Institute - The premiere annual national conference for college presidents and other leaders in independent higher education.
- Making the Case - Charts, data, and other resources on the strength and value of independent higher education.
- Foundation Conversation - The annual meeting between executives of major private foundations and leaders in the private college sector.